About the Summer Programmes Office
The Summer Programmes Office at the Graduate School of Social Science has been running immersive summer courses for over 25 years. We create programmes in a wide range of subjects, and don't shy away from tackling challenging topics. We welcome approximately 500 students each summer from around the world into our interdisciplinary classrooms.
Our Amsterdam community is composed of local organisations, specialised academics, international students and a broad network of professionals and dedicated staff. We work with experts to help put academic questions into conversation with the broader world, bringing the university into the community and vice versa.
Want to get to know more about the work that we do? Follow us on social media to get a feel for our summer school vibe, and our academic and social community. You can also learn about studying with us through the eyes of past summer school students.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be a current student at the University of Amsterdam, and meet the admissions requirements of the programme they're applying to. Candidates must be comfortable in and knowledgeable of Amsterdam, and be motivated to study the topics covered.
Candidates for the UvA Summer Ambassador opportunity must be available in the month before the start of the programme for approximately 10 hours of preparatory work. Applicants must be available full-time for the entire duration of the programme itself to assist the Summer Programmes Office. Read more about the course dates and description of tasks in the sections below.
Why become an ambassador?
Ambassadors play an important role in our summer community
UvA Summer Ambassadors apply for a hybrid position in the summer programme of their choice, from the list below. Succesful applicants receive a full tuition-reduction scholarship for that course in exchange for helping the Summer Programmes Office. In addition to attending all course sessions and being an active member of our summer team and community, Ambassadors assist with the smooth-running of the programme in a number of ways.
As a UvA Summer Ambassador, you will work closely with the Summer Programmes Office and the Academic Director(s) of the programme to which you've been admitted to ensure the course is a success. You will also act as a local reference for your international classmates, and help them feel more at home while they are in Amsterdam.
What is expected of you?
- If selected, your presence will be required for a training day in the spring to get familiar with your tasks and programme.
- In the month leading up to the programme, work closely with the Summer Programmes Office team to ensure everything is ready to go.
- Your assistance is essential to help with move-in day, the Academic Opening, and welcoming guest lecturers to the UvA's Roeterseiland Campus.
- Take the lead on course-related excursions, assisting your classmates.
- Be a central point of contact for the students and Summer Programmes Office team for the duration of the course.
Application instructions: Deadline 15 March 2023
- Step 1: Take a look through the participating courses below: visit the how to apply page of the course you're interested in applying for, and prepare all the admissions documents as requested.
- Step 2: Click the "Apply Now" button to access the online application system
- Step 3: When applying via the online application system, be sure to state clearly at the beginning of your letter of motivation that you are applying to be a UvA Summer Ambassador.
- Step 4: Expand on the required letter of motivation and include a second section. After you answer the motiovation prompts, please elaborate on the ways in which this programme and ambassadorship would benefit you academically, professionally, and/or personally. Be sure to list any relevant experience in planning (academic) events/programmes, welcoming folks to Amsterdam, or similar ambassadorial roles you've filled in the past. Give us a clear picture of how you will fit in to the programme to which you are applying, and our team.
- Step 5: Once you've reviewed and submitted your application, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org notifying us of your application to be a UvA Summer Ambassador. Don't forget to include in your email the name of the programme you're applying to.
UvA students can apply to be an UvA Summer Ambassador for one of the following university-level summer programmes:
- Building Brands and Influencing Behaviour
- Introduction to Sexuality Studies
- Mindfulness and Compassion-based Interventions
- Multilateralism, Globalisation & Corporate Diplomacy
- Placemaking: Sense, Space & Strategy
- Planning the Cycling City
- Power to the People
- The Circular City: Towards a Sustainable Urban Ecosystem
- Urban Studies: Planning and Living in Cities
- Mental Health, Youth and Society
Questions and contact
If you have questions about becoming an UvA Student Ambassador or would like to contact the Summer Programmes Office, please send an email to email@example.com with 'UvA Student Ambassador' in the subject line.